Saturday, May 03, 2008

I'm Growing Some Alaskan Pride. Want Some?

I was born in the cold winter. January. Alaska. Yeah. VERY cold.

I'm entertaining the idea of having an Alaskan-themed birthday in January: Baked Alaska, Alaskan King Crab, snow cones, forget-me-nots, etc. You get the idea.

I enjoy going to this fun little website that shows what the current weather conditions look like in Fairbanks (my *real* hometown). But lately I've started surfing the 'net looking for what Fairbanks looks like. You see, my father was stationed to come to (no surprise here) Texas shortly after my birth. So, Mom, Dad, Big Brother and I head South down the Al-Can Highway, among other many, many highways to Ft. Sam Houston (San Antonio), Texas.

Quite a temperature change. Even in January.

Quite a culture change, too.

So I never go to see what I jokingly refer to as My Homeland. I never knew My People. As I grow old(er), I long to see My Birthplace. Experience the culture and lifestyle of Fairbanks, Alaska.

In my readings and photography scavaging, I came across this fun pictoral:


alaska

It's from a site where the owner claims "even if we cut Alaska in half, we're still bigger than Texas!" Kind of a giggle, really. I'm from the two biggest states in the U.S. 'Splains some things, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment