Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It's Been A Long Two and A Half Years

I decided a few years back that I wanted to learn how to sew quilts. I learned quite a bit about them, took a class even. I was gifted many sewing accoutrements, and went crazy at the fabric store stocking up on material.


I dabbled in quilting but I have to say -- it's very difficult, especially if you aren't good at math. hahaha.... I'm not good at math. :)


So, I turned to making pajamas for My Eldest. Also, she has a little table with four chairs that is now used more by My Little One. It comes in very handy when we have a house full of kids. It's pretty marked up from all the action it's seen. So I make a table cloth and napkins for the holidays and occasions. I also make table runners for members of my family to put out at holiday times. I get a few compliments so I figure I must be doing something right.


I even had notions of starting my own business and taking my table runners and kids linen sets to trade and craft shows. I never did do it. Then, pregnancy number two occurred and I put all sewing on hold. Then we moved into our house. My sewing machine has hibernated the last two and a half years, and last week, she emerged from her slumber, ready to tackle a fun project.


Of course, the sewing machine isn't the only hibernating bear to awaken. I'm almost afraid to document this, but fear never got me anywhere good, so here goes: I think *I* am awakening again, too! I find myself humming and singing again, dancing around the house more, caring if my floors are swept or not and actually acting on it by sweeping! I think maybe, *just maybe*, I'm coming out of my funk....


With that being said, My Eldest went away to her first ever away from home all weekend camp with her Brownie's troop. On the schedule was a sock hop! So, momma bear decided her baby bear needed a poodle skirt, and by gosh, momma bear was gonna MAKE ONE! From SCRATCH!


It wasn't easy, mind you. The two hardest parts were making the waistband, but prior to that, getting the measurements correct. Two nights in a row, I stayed up pretty late to complete it, and I have to say, I'm very proud of it!! My mother in law, who is a master seamstress, helped me pin and center the waistband.


I love it and so did My Eldest! Gonna try to make one for My Little One, too. Here's the final product up close and personal:


Stitchin' in time,
~Jax

3 comments:

  1. Hey this is wonderful news!!! Keep up the slogging, life gets like that sometimes but I never had any doubt you'd come through it. Love ya lots....the "other" kb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! That's awesome!! Good on you!.. I totally wear poodle skirts.. or.. more like poodle kilts when noone is looking. :P

    _Dave

    ReplyDelete