Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Pain?

I am taking My Eldest to buy a flower girl dress for a wedding we are both honored in which to be standing. We pull into the gas station first.

Eldest: I can't wait to be a grown-up, Mommy. Why can't I just be a teenager right NOW??!!

She is quite flustered and exasperated because I had just clarified to her that she cannot wear heels at the wedding. I informed her that she could wear a slight heel appropriate for six year olds, but what she is wanting is "the kind all the teenagers are wearing!".

Uhhh.

No.

Me: I know you will have trouble understanding this when I tell you. And I know you will not believe me. BUT....Us adults are always wishing we could go back in time and be kids again. You kids are always in a hurry to be grown up. Trust me, Love, it's much funner to be a kid than an adult.

Eldest: I don't know about that.

Me: Do you want to be the one to have to go to work, to wash the car, do all the chores, make dinner, balance the checkbook, schedule appointments? (I named about five other adult things, too.)

Eldest: Uhhh -- that part might be painful.

She looks out the window.

Click. The pump is cueing me that the tank is full.

Thank goodness! This has been painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment