Thursday, August 02, 2007

Memoirs of a Panther

High school was a special time for me.

I didn't finish college, so I don't have that magical collegiate experience from which to draw.

Instead, I draw on high school.

I've managed to be found or to find many of my high school acquaintences as of late. It's been rather amazing, really. I love technology!

So now, I'm feeling all giddy. Feeling sixteen, seventeen and eighteen. I've posted all kinds of pics on classmates.com, hunted folks down on myspace and even emailed a few here and there. It's been really nice, and I must say flattering. I'm flattered that so many of them remember me!

Sometimes I right back there when I hear Depeche Mode or Erasure. I remember crossing the border and feeling T E R R I F I E D that if I was caught down there my dad would get kicked out of the Army! I was always the designated driver.

I remember my sorority initiations. Gawd. Chico's Tacos sauce with pee, mustard, salt, pepper, hot sauce, ketchup -- you name it -- mixed together, handed to us in a soda cup with a straw and we were told to take a drink. I'm glad I had the smarts enough to cover the straw opening with my tongue and feign a sucking action (keep your jokes to yourself, please. I know what you're thinking...). During those initiations, there was a talent contest (no it did not consist of me wrapping my lips around something else to suck! There's that mind in the gutter again!). I sang "Happy Birthday Mr. President" a la Marilyn Monroe and WON! I won the talent contest by mimicking someone else's talent! Now THAT'S talent! At the end of it all, I had a very, very tall shaving cream crown and was dubbed Miss Ascarate Park. I'm still proud of that accomplishment to this day. (Ascarate Park was a scary park too -- lots of gangs hung out there and it was very seedy and dirty.)

I guess this isn't the most exciting post, is it?

Nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment