Monday, August 27, 2007

Falconry

Plaid.
Hunter Green and Navy Blue.
Thin Red and Yellow stripes cut through the dark colors.

A matching headband.

Pressed white shirt with a peter pan collar.

New white shoes and white ruffly socks.

A backpack (re-used).

A Wonder Woman lunchbox in tow (re-used).

A young girl bravely goes into the home of the Fightin' Falcons.

Today, My Eldest started First Grade, where you "get your very own crossing guard". *chuckle* The things she gets excited about never cease to amaze me....

NO! I didn't cry. Almost I did, but I didn't. I refused to. I figure she's a big girl, so am I. We have to be big girls together in this thing called LIFE and grow up no matter how much we don't want to. *pout*

For the first time in her life, she got herself ready AND on time. I think now that the world is supposed to end, so be weary. You had warning.

Backpack firmly afixed to her shoulders and back, she kept bugging me as I was prepping for work: chop, chop, Mama. Are you ready yet? How about now? We're going to be late. Mama, c'mon!

(Somehow the roles had reversed. Yet another sign to the End of the World.)

I kept answering: I am! Almost! Not yet...I just have to fix my hair! No we aren't going to be late, silly girl. Are you excited, Love?

Smiles galore all morning and all along the drive to the school.

We listened to Jack Johnston (love him!)...the soundtrack to Curious George. On it is a song called, "We Will Be Friends" and it's about the first day of school. Very appropriate selection by her -- all on her own. No help from Mama.

So we get to school and I'm snapping photos of her in front of the school, in front of her locker then next to the sign on her classroom door that colorfully says "Welcome to First Grade". The teacher is frantic with parents and kids demanding her attention, so My Eldest and I sneak behind her and find My Eldest's desk.

My Eldest is totally stoked that you get your own locker and desks at this school, by the way.

Sitting cautiously, My Eldest looks around. She has one of those scared smiles on her face. And her already big, brown eyes are even bigger. They are screaming, WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE?!

I take one picture. "Smile." I sweetly tell her. *snap*

I take a second picture. "Sugar, SMILE. A real smile, honey." She has a shit-eating grin on her face and her eyes are darting all around. It's very obvious she is nervous. And scared. And uncertain. And uncomfortable. And wondering how she got to this place called First Grade.

She tries her hardest to smile sincerely and I figure it's time for me to jet. So, I go around and hug and kiss her goodbye, then ask, "You going to be okay, Love?"

Gritting her teeth, averting my eyes and feigning a smile, she moves only her mouth and responds, "I think so".

I giggle....inside.

I smile at her, kiss the top of her head and say, "you'll be fine. See you later, okay, baby?" And off I go without looking back.

I do hope she's made some friends today.....

1 comment:

  1. ohmygosh. YOU didn't sound like you did too badly, but I got all goosebumpy and oddly sad that she is starting first grade... with syd starting jr high I will never get another 'walk to class and meet teacher' first day. not ever. how did I not realize that last year? and syd, she will never have another recess...ohmygosh jackie!

    ReplyDelete