Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Eighteen

I wasn't going to blog tonight, but was compelled to because I pretty much obligated myself to a high school friend who unexpectedly crawled out of the woodwork today.

I was attending an IAPP conference at the Gaylord Texan today (gawd I love that place). It's a 3-day conference, which has been fairly intense with back to back workshops, keynote speakers, vendor expo visits, food, schmoozing, networking and generally immersing myself into more aspects of my profession.

I am on classmates.com.

Today, I have a break from the conference, and go to the little internet cafe and check work email and my personal email. Lo and behold, I have an email from classmates.com telling me someone has sent me a message! I love when I see that! It makes me giddy and I feel eighteen again.

So this email message was from a guy that honestly, I would have NEVER guessed would contact me. Yes, I remember him. I have fond memories of him actually. Are they deep-rooted ones like we shared late nights at dances, or had a tight friendship? No. He was in several of my classes, we got along just fine. I was in a sorority back then, and if memory serves me correctly, he might have been in the fraternity, or might've been a Delta Chi "beau". Not sure now....

In the context of social circles in high school, we are probably the least likely of friends. He was a "rocker" -- long (like down his back long) wavy brown hair, black t-shirts (one for every metal band from the 80's no doubt), jeans and high tops. He was VERY smart though. We shared honors classes (okay, I cheated my way into them, but HE was BRIGHT). I'm a little military officer's daughter -- total white bread goodie-two-shoes in high school. We would not have been friends probably if we didn't share these classes. (I wonder if he'll agree....?)

Anyway, graduation came and went. Eighteen years have come and gone. Guess what? Rocker emailed me!! Rocker EMAILED *ME*! Ha!

The rest of the afternoon and evening, we exchanged emails catching up here and there; filling each other in on our lives. (I told him I'd blog about our fun today. So, Rocker, this is for you!) We are going to have lunch or share happy hour next time he's in town. Should be fun!

Right now, I'm lost in my feelings of El Paso. I am marinating in memories of Chico's Tacos, Scenic Drive, McKelligon Canyon, The A on the mountain (especially when we'd light it on fire during homecoming!*). I remember Delta Chi initiation (yes, I was Miss Ascarate Park thankyouverymuch! Glad no one taped me singing Happy Birthday Mr. President ala Marilyn that night!) as well as theater class, learning the best English from my French teacher, and living in the basement of my house. I think of a slower pace, border culture, learning Spanish without meaning to. In the late eighties, high school was so wonderful for me....and even after 18 years....still is.


Thanks, Rocker, for contacting me and reminding me of where I came from. Thanks for all your kind words and easy-goingness. You ROCK!

* Most of the high schools painted the first letter of their school on the mountain side. I'm not sure how popular this is around the country, but I suspect it's fairly unique to Texas and maybe even El Paso. We had a committe to go up and keep the paint fresh so it was viewable from around the city, even the airplane. There was also a C, and M and I think an F but not sure -- been away too long, and really, the only letter that matters is The Austin A! Go Panthers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment