Sunday, May 27, 2007

Commemorating Memorial Day

It's strange to say "Happy Memorial Day". Seems out of place to say that. After all, Memorial Day is about men and women who DIED in military service. Although I am enjoying the freedoms they provided me by their sacrifice, I still don't think it's a "happy" occasion.

I do believe it's worth commemorating (as opposed to celebrating). And since we are at war, and our troops, their families, and well, let's be honest, our WHOLE COUNTRY need the cheers for moral support, I'll refrain from criticizing the confusion between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.
My Husband is a vet. So is my dad. So are several of my uncles, my maternal grandfathers; I think a man in every generation of my family history. There are geneological records that document the U.S. Civil War, War of 1812, Viet Nam, Gulf War, World Wars 1 & 2, etc. By nature of being a child of a soldier, many of my childhood friends and acquaintances served or currently serve, being veterans of the not-so-glamorous wars such as Bosnia, Afghanistan and the like.
So, to avoid rambling (and possible controversy), I'll simly say this: I am proud to be an American. For all of you in military service past and present, I humbly express my heartfelt gratitude. God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post friend. I ws going to say something really smart assed, but can't due to respect of all who and have served.

    ReplyDelete