Saturday, March 10, 2007

Who is Number One??


Today, My Little One turns ONE. Yes, a year ago today, I was revelling in the afterglow of childbirth. I was learning to nurse all over again. I was learning to get rest efficiently all over again. I was sucking down a gallon of water, chowing down on a Lenten meal (amazing the hospital knew that!). I was pissed off at the hospital for not bringing my baby to me sooner. I delivered her, we bonded for a brief time, then they swept her away to do all those things they do....but took entirely too long.

I was beaming smiles to my husband and My Eldest. I was wondering 'where the hell is Mom? Why is she doing yardwork instead of being here at the hospital??', and still, 'where the f*** is my baby??!" Buzzing the hospital staff. Talking to the techs as they came in. I didn't give a crap about shift changes, and paperwork, PKU tests, Hepatitis B shot, a bath. Dammit, let me have my baby girl!! (Never mind the hormones, the lack of sleep and the incredible stress my body just endured...)

She finally arrived and I didn't want to put her down. It was all I could to share her. Letting someone else hold her is what I imagine sending your kids off to college must feel like. Gut wrenching. Yet, all the well-wishes and visitors that came our way was amazingly amazing. It was times like My Little One's birth, that I realized just how loved I am. And I thank God.

Today's birthday celebration leaves me feeling no different. Not only do I realize how loved *I* am, I realize to some degree, how much *she* is loved.

Such a sweet and funny girl, she is. A huge ball of sunshine to all of us, whether you know her or not. Smiley when she wakes up, demanding with her food. A joker like you would not believe -- already! A stunning blonde hair, blue eyed masterpiece of a woman. I will enjoy watching her grow and mature. While I'm enjoying it, I'll also be grieving it. :)

Her party was modest and a lot of fun. There were gifts, cake, snacks and unexpected visitors. She entertained everyone. She was in her element! Toward the end of the party, all the little girls dressed up. We had animals and princesses. Little One was a hula girl...and loved every second of it as you can tell by her laugh-filled smile in the picture above.

We solicited contributions to a time capsule for her. We have contributions still en route, too. We asked friends and family to write a note to her and seal it somehow. They were also invited to contribute a token of something historical to this time of the world, or even a personal gift or symbol of her relationship to that person/family. My best friend bought her a bracelet that her name on it. We took it off on her birthday and put it in the time capsule. One of our family friends has a brother who is serving in Iraq. He is going to collect a flag from every country that has flown in the war over Iraq and send it to us. Marvelous! Mommy put in a collectors card of Wonder Woman, and I'll be adding something Duran Duran, too. (If you're reading this and want to contribute, contact me!) She'll open the time capsule at some point in the future such as her 18th birthday, or other monumental occasion. (We did this for Our Eldest, too, who is a Y2K baby.)

Happy Birthday sweet girl. Mommy loves you abysmally and infinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment