Monday, August 21, 2006

Kindergartner the Jaguar


Today, My Eldest the Kindergartner becomes a Jaguar. Yes, our eldest is now attending Kindergarten at our church! She looks so sweet and mature in her burgandy & plaid uniform, oversized backpack (complete with puppy nap pillow & Barbie towel) and Wonder Woman lunchbox (her choosing -- not mine!)

I cried, of course. Duh! I was trying to privately cry through the bittersweet milestone while I was getting ready this morning. My Eldest traipsed into the bathroom, backpack, lunchbox and all. She noticed as I brushed my unkempt hair from my face that I was crying. The conversation went something like this:

Eldest: "Aww Mommy. You're crying"

Me: I wrestle a smile and confirm my tears.

Eldest: "Are you sad, Mommy?"

Me: "Sad and happy, honey"

She thinks for a second.

Eldest: "Adults are too old to cry for their kids first day of school"

Me: "I'm too old to cry?"

Eldest: "Yeah."

Me: "I think I won't be the only crying mommy today, love."

Eldest: puts her five year old hand on my forearm and gives me a gentle squeeze, "I know it's hard being a mommy sometimes"

Me: I smile and nod my head in agreement, choking back yet more tears.

She turns on her new all-white athletic shoes and leaves me to finish getting ready. I took a moment to pray in gratitude for our sweet, compassionate and funny Kindergartner.

No comments:

Post a Comment