Thursday, August 03, 2006

Incisions

When the family gathers, cards are a favorite pasttime. Before my dad died, the game of choice was Hollywood Gin. Whenever he had to make a choice of what cards to keep or play or discard, instead of saying "decisions, decisions", he would say, "incisions, incisions".
My Eldest is precocious. She is an avid, good reader. By "good", I mean, she excels in reading. She currently has minimal interest in math. By "minimal", I mean, NO interest whatsoever (typical girl, right?). But she can do it according to her Montessori teacher. I'll believe it when I see it. So, in Texas, a child has to be 5 by September 1st in order to be eligible for Kindergarten. My Eldest will be six shortly after the September deadline. I suspect she is more ready for first grade than Kinder.
What do we decide to DO with her? Private? Montessori? Public? So many choices, so much information and I just do know what to DO. I can't DECIDE. Of course, money is also has a hand in the decision. So does location. Most importantly, what can the offer her?? I'm too much of a control freak who wants to keep her in a bubble of un-reality to trust ANYONE at this point-- not even the school at church!
Mix into this salad, the tasty ingredient of "husband currently looking for a new job" then toss!
See my dilemma?

Incisions, incisions.

It's going to be a fun ride! Probably moreso for me than My Eldest.





Whoosh!



1 comment:

  1. The decision isn't easy by any means. Just remember it's just a year of their lives. You can change it if you don't feel that her education supports her interests.

    For G, I want a school that will foster his love for science and math and yet will drill that reading and writing part. Will they? I don't know. It may be left to me to do.

    Homeschool will be plan B. And if we go there, Zoe would be welcome to join. I would probably be better equipt to handle her needs over my son's. Still, I am creative so I am sure I can address all needs.

    For now I am trusting that Reilly has something for us.

    Good luck with your search. I hope you stay near. I like having you around, personally. And I like our families together.

    ReplyDelete